A letter was sent to the Prime Minister of Canada, the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau.
For the Fifth Replenishment of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (Global Fund) in 2016, Canada pledged CAD 804,000,000 to the Global Fund for the 2017 – 2019 allocation cycle.
The impact of the Global Fund aligns with Canada’s feminist foreign policy and can be seen as an essential element of the “Thrive Agenda” that Canada committed to support at the Women Deliver Conference in Vancouver in June 2019 through:
- Promoting gender equality and addressing human rights barriers through its grants;
- Insisting on the meaningful engagement of women throughout the design and implementation of the programmes it funds;
- Having a strong focus on sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) and devotes more than one-third of its funding to SRHR activities;
- Supporting comprehensive sexuality education and programmes to address gender-based violence; and
- Providing funding for education and economic empowerment programmes for adolescent girls and young women, who are disproportionately affected by HIV.