The world is hit hard by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, an infectious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). People living with and affected by HIV/AIDS, TB and Malaria and key populations are severely affected by the current measures taken by national governments to address the spread of the disease. Stigma, discrimination, violence, legal and policy barriers, proof of identity issues among others will further aggravate the plight of the already vulnerable and marginalized communities and severely affect their access to essential goods and services.
Nationwide lockdowns and the curfews in countries will impede our communities accessing life-saving medicine and health services. With the health workforce burdened by the COVID-19 responses, our communities will face further challenges in receiving information about their existing health conditions and COVID-19.
Despite all hardships, our communities have yet again come together in solidarity to respond to COVID-19. Local organizations led by and serving people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS, TB and Malaria and key populations have commenced their emergency responses for COVID-19 to ensure that the communities they serve have uninterrupted access to life-saving medicine and other essential requirements.
Emergency Funding Opportunities!
Elton John AIDS Foundation | COVID-19 Emergency Fund: For organisations that provide solutions to people living with or at severe risk of HIV/AIDS and who are now at risk due to COVID-19
Frontline AIDS | The Rapid Response Fund: Provides grants to support LGBT people to continue accessing HIV services in emergency situations
Stories from our Community
Immediately after the COVID-19 outbreak, as countries around the world, including in the Asia-Pacific region have implemented various lockdowns, restrictions and curfews. Yet, communities and civil society are resilient in their efforts and demonstrating unprecedented fortitude in responding to the needs in their communities. The personal stories compiled share the concerted efforts in addressing the needs of communities living with and/or affected by HIV, TB and malaria during the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Anthony Lopez shares how he has mobilised his community in response to COVID-19 restrictions in Capiz province in the Philippines amidst news of an immediate family diagnosed with COVID-19 and the barriers and bottlenecks faced by young people and young people in the course of COVID-19 restrictions.
Please click on the buttons below to find out more on how communities and civil society are responding in their countries
Global Fund & Technical Partner Resources on COVID-19
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic during a time when countries were in the midst and/or getting ready for funding requests for Allocation Cycle 2020 – 2022, the Global Fund and other partners responded rapidly in allowing flexibilities for countries to respond to COVID-19 and mitigate impacts on programmes to fight HIV, TB, malaria and systems for health. On 9th April, the Global Fund Board approved the COVID-19 Response Mechanism for Implementing countries with an initial funding of US$500 million in addition to the US$500 million in grant flexibilities announced by the Global Fund. The Global Fund has released various guidelines, policies and documentation which are available below in the different tabs.
The Global Fund has released COVID-19 Situation Reports to bring together news about the Global partnership’s response to the pandemic.
- COVID-19 Situation Report 20th May 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 15th May 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 8th May 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 1st May 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 28th April 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 24th April 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 21st April 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 17th April 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 14th April 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 10th April 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 7th April 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 3rd April 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 31st March 2020 (En)
- COVID-19 Situation Report 27th March 2020 (En)
The COVID-19 pandemic has demonstrated greater impacts on the communities of key and vulnerable populations living with and/or affected by HIV, Tuberculosis and Malaria. The Global Fund and Technical Partners are rapidly developing resources related to Community, Rights & Gender. Please see the resources made available below:
- COVID-19 Guidance Note: Community, Rights and Gender issued on 15th May 2020 download in English
- Global Fund COVID-19 Guidance Note: Human Rights in the Times of COVID-19 – issued 14th April 2020 download in English
- Regional Risk Communication and Community Engagement Working Group on COVID-19 Preparedness and Response in Asia and Pacific – COVID-19: How to include marginalised and vulnerable people in risk communication and community engagement download in English
- “Rights in the time of COVID-19 – Lessons from HIV for an effective, community-led response” released by UNAIDS on 20th March 2020 download in English
- “Tuberculosis and COVID-19” webpage by Stop TB Partnership access here
- World Health Organisation on “Addressing Human Rights as key to the COVID-19 Response” access here
Guidance from the Global Fund on investments and advice to Principal Recipients and Implementers that are updated regularly following World Health Organisation guidelines. Below are resources made available by the Global Fund so far:
- COVID-19: Priorities for Global Fund HIV Support [Issued May 2020] download in English, Español, Français, Português
- Global Fund Q & A – Supporting Countries and Grants during the COVID-19 Pandemic [last updated 4th May 2020] download in English
- Global Fund Q&A – COVID-19 Response Mechanism – C19RM [Last updated 4th May 2020] in English
- Global Fund COVID-19 Flexibilities and Response Mechanis [4 May 2020] English
- COVID-19 Key Messages and Talking Points [last updated 7 April, 2020] download in English
- Guidance Note on Responding to COVID-19 [released 4th March 2020] download in English, Español, Français
- COVID-19 Guidance Note on Virtual inclusive Dialogue [released 14th April 2020] download in English
- COVID-19 Information Note: Considerations for Global Fund Support for HIV [released 7th April 2020] download in English, Español, Français, Português
- COVID-19 Information Note: Considerations for Global Fund Support for Malaria [released 26th March 2020] download in English, Español, Français, Português
- COVID-19 Information Note: Considerations for Global Fund Support for Resilient and Sustainable Systems for Health [released 8th April 2020] download in English, Español, Français, Português
- COVID-19 Information Note: Considerations for Global Fund Support for Tuberculosis [released 6th April 2020] download in English, Español, Français, Português
Resources at the national level
- India – Gujarat State Guidance for ART patients at ART centres in view of COVID-19 | download here in English
- India – National Coalition of People Living with HIV in India (NCPI+) COVID-19 Advisory for People Living with HIV | download here in English
- Indonesia – Positive Indonesia Network Rapid Survey of Needs for PLHIV in the Context of COVID-19 (28th March 2020) | download here in English
- Indonesia – Comprehensive Prevention Program to Reach and Support Key Populations and PLHIVs through Virtual Mechanism in COVID-19 Response developed by Yayasan Spiritia | download here in Bahasa Indonesia, English
- Nepal – Interim Guidance for Managing PLHIV and Harm Reduction Program for PWID During COVID-19 Response | download here in English
- India – Letter to Central TB Division on TB and COVID-19 by Communities & Civil Society Organisations | download here in English